6.3.09

Back to Basics With Manolo Blahnik







My favorite justification for a pricey purchase is: This is a classic--it will never go out of style. Thankfully, there is truth in my reasoning, for the inherent beauty of a "classic" is its timeless elegance. Today I'm wondering if it's actually possible that the great shoe magician, Manolo Blahnik, thinks like little ol' me? Perhaps!--as Manolo Blahnik has announced a return to basics for his Spring/Summer 2009 Collection:

"The whole world appears to be going shoe mad, and everything is getting a bit out of control with shoes, so I wanted to bring the attention back onto things like line, proportion and balance, and just to make the perfect court shoe. No gimmicks, no messing around... and then to have fun with them when it came to the choice of colours."

For a girl who loves footwear (an unrequited love unfortunately NOT shared by my credit line), I find myself drawn to the classics--so you can only imagine how thrilled and inspired I was to read Manolo's Manifesto. Scanning the selection, wide-eyed, I found myself inspired by the fresh colors and unique interpretations upon classic form and fit. And just when I thought Carrie Bradshaw didn't know everything!

At the top of this pyramid of perfection à pied sits the Half d'Orsay. At first glance this shoe is as sweet as it is demure, made of yellow leather with angular piecing that gathers at the peep toe. Yet, with bold leopard lining and a 4+ heel, sex appeal is not lost on the Half d'Orsay. For those that walk toe the line (pun intended) between rock 'n roller and southern belle line, "the holy man of heels" has you covered.



Half D'Orsay by Manolo Blahnik, available at Neiman Marcus: http://www.neimanmarcus.com/. Manolo Blahnik quoted from http://www.manoloblahnik.com/.

1 comment: