10.3.09

Biker Chic for Spring

Ahhh, the joys of spring: pastels, floral prints, silk scarves, and---
black leather ankle boots with chains and zippers? Such is the direction that fashion prodigy Alexander Wang is taking his Spring 2009 collection: leather, sky-scraping heels, fringe, zippers, and chains. Now, that's one way to put a spin on the open-toed sandal!

Though I'm far from a motorcycle girl (despite desperate attempts by The Real Housewives of Orange County to make biking look both glamorous and girly), I'm nonetheless intrigued by Wang's bold industrial styles. Not to mention, any designer who launched his own collection and took the fashion world by storm at the ripe young age of 18 holds some clout in my book. If I had tried to make my way in the industry after just a year in college, my contribution would have been something along the lines of "sweatpants and hoodie couture."

For me, the jury is out. In the March 2009 edition of Elle, super-beauty Alessandra Ambrosio is photographed in Wang's edgy footwear for a biker-style editorial--which gets a girl to thinking, can I pull this off? I, for one, can definitely envision myself in the Blake Fold Over Boot, paired with a dark wash skinny jean, sun bleached white cotton tee, and my favorite Chloé sunglasses. Yet, the striking 5-inch heels would push me to a towering 6'4"--and I fear that the air up there might give me nosebleeds (so not cute). But don't we all make sacrifices for fashion? So I guess I've talked myself into it. Biker chic is so hot right now.






Blake Fold Over Boot by Alexander Wang, available at Barneys New York http://www.barneys.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Lolly dearest I promise no nosebleeds up here! I think the biker shooties are totes doable - just like a staple LBD that has a tough-girl zipper all the way down the back. Go for it, babe!

    ReplyDelete