18.3.09

DvF in the City















This week's episode of The City made me think back to torturous school dances when I doubled as a wallflower. Bruised from her break-up with Jay and slighted by the holier-than-thou Olivia, Miss Whitney Port found herself all by her-pretty-blond-self at the DvF party, post Fashion Week runway show. In my days of wallflower-ness, the only company I earned were my friends, encouraging me to hit the dance floor. I know now that I should take a few tips from Whitney next time I'm feeling sorry for myself, for her skillful pout merited the attention of Wrap-Dress Royalty, Diane von Furstenberg. How convenient.

First, a disclaimer: I have yet to miss an episode of The City or its sister show, The Hills, and I have always been a fan of Whitney. For whatever reason, she survived season after season, staying at the periphery of the drama--a feat that few Lauren Conrad associates can claim. So I was appropriately interested in getting to know the "real" (though we all know MTV's loose definition of the word) Whitney when the camera was devoted exclusively to her world. I'm sad to report that after Monday's episode, I'm more than a little disappointed in my girl.

Trivia question: What would you talk to Diane von Furstenberg about, if you were so lucky as to engage in conversation with her? Well, I'll tell you one thing: IT WOULD NOT BE MY BOY PROBLEMS!

First arriving on the fashion scene in 1972 with her signature wrap dress, Diane von Furstenberg has since built an empire of the DvF brand. It doesn't take a fashionista to know that she is well versed in the ways of the world--particularly the fashion industry--and thus a goldmine for a newbie like Whitney, a wealth of guidance and advice. This is why I am so baffled by Whitney's conversation with Madame DvF, who seizes the golden opportunity to talk about her recent break-up.* Really?


In a recent interview featured in WSJ, Diane von Furstenberg shares the love, ambition, and inspiration fueling her 30+ year reign in the fashion industry. Speaking to her dedication, she shares, "Things don’t happen in spite of you. Or if they do, they don’t last. So I think you have to want to be a success. It’s a lot of work and it’s a lot of perseverance."

That said, if I were in Whitney's fabulous purple ankle boots, I'm pretty sure I would have carpe diem-ed, soaking up every ounce of fashion wisdom Diane von Furstenberg was willing to share with me. At the very least, I would have at least pretended that my head and heart were in the fashion game (hello, ungrateful!) and not woefully stuck on my Aussie rocker boyfriend.

Diane, if you're out there, I can run circles around Whitney Port AND carry on a conversation. Not to mention that it looks like DvF could use a few more brunettes. Call me!



*To relive the horror: AU REVOIR CITY (Posted using ShareThis).



Photos: (1) Diane von Furstenberg from "DVF: Mother of Reinvention" in WSJ; available online at http://magazine.wsj.com/hunter/rebel-yell/being-diane-von-furstenberg/?mod=wsj_magazine_newsreel. (2) Whitney Port by MTV, photo available online at http://www.mtv.com/. (3) Diane von Furstenberg with Andy Warhol and Monique Van Vooren in 1974, also from WSJ article.

1 comment:

  1. Lolly, I felt the same way! Whitney just stared at DvF when they were talking! So glad you wrote about this :) Some people just dont understand how lucky they are to have those opportunities.

    ReplyDelete