12.3.09

Step Into the Closet



All this recession madness has a girl feeling just a tad bit guilty about updating her wardrobe. I mean, can't the economy just turn itself around already?! Since I'm not holding my breath on that one, I would suggest an alternative: step into the closet.

Reading the March 5 edition of Stuff Boston, Erin Souza's "Spring Fashion: Retro Renewal" stopped me in my tracks. HOW is it possible that a gem like The Closet exists on Newbury Street, one of my favorite stomping grounds, and I never knew about it? There's nothing quite like designer fashions at a "gentle" price to ease the recession blues. Yes, I was actually running down city blocks to make it in the door before closing time (I kid you not).

Located at 175 Newbury, between Dartmouth and Exeter, The Closet had sadly slipped my notice due to its garden-level location. Forgive me--I'm a tall girl, and sometimes I forget to look down (like when I almost stepped on an innocent child at Whole Foods last week!). Lesson learned.

Inside, let me assure you that The Closet boats a far, far better selection than my closet. Racks upon racks are packed with designer duds: sweaters, denim, dresses, tee, skirts... However, The Closet separates itself from other resale boutiques of its kind in two distinct ways.

1. Menswear: There is a whole section devoted exclusively to men's fashion. Finally, a boutique that my husband might actually be interested in! Shockingly, Jimmy Choos and Chanel sunglasses pour moi don't exactly get his blood pumping, but his very own section of the store is another story.

2. Handbags, handbags, handbags: It is a handbag heaven. There aren't just a few bags to quickly survey; you actually have to hunt, and by doing so, you may find the treasure you seek: a black leather Armani hobo with a black acrylic chain strap? Yes, please.

The only "con" to speak of may actually be a "pro"--that is, if you have more than 15 minutes to spare; there is SO MUCH STUFF! I was overwhelmed by the selection, almost to the point of paralysis. My weakness as a shopper is that sensory overload occasionally gets the best of me. If the selection is too large, I often don't know where to start. You can avoid my plight by giving yourself all the time in the world in The Closet to scan the racks to find exactly what you're looking for.

At the end of my journey into The Closet, I walked away with a gorgeous navy-and-white striped cashmere cardigan, label unknown, with medium sleeves and a bateau neck. My plan?--To rock it with my Maine hunting hat, leggings, and pleated skirt for the ultimate Holden-Caulfield-escape-from-prepschool-esque look. Mission accomplished.



Psst: Visit Stuff Boston http://stuffboston.com for fabulous fashion and beauty tips from Boston's insiders. The full text of Erin Souza's article, "Spring Fashion: Retro Renewal" is available online from the Stuff Boston archives.


Bloggers! The Closet has its own blog: http://www.closetboston.com/blog/.

No comments:

Post a Comment