23.3.09

Gowns Fit for the Queen Mum


Gone are the days of bridal party blahs. Today's bride is confident enough not to dress her ladies in brightly colored taffeta nightmares just to be sure she is the fairest of them all. Instead, brides now make the effort to cloth their nearest and dearest in classic elegance, with special attention to the mother-of-the-bride. After all, where would a blushing bride be in this world without mommy dearest?

A dear friend of mine, whose wedding will be all the rage this summer, recently found herself on the quest for the perfect gown for her mother. The trouble is, many clothiers missed the memo that "mother-of-the-bride gown" is NOT synonymous with "shapeless/tasteless/two-piece/disaster." This is the part where I poke my little nose all up in her business--and begin my own personal cyber quest to see what's out there.

This particular flavor of MOTB is très chic--partial to boutique shopping above all. Both mother and daughter were inspired by Diane von Furstenberg's new maxi dresses for spring, and so I focused my search accordingly: long, flowing dresses in varied palettes.


The Outcome? Below are a few of my favorite styles, offering a range of aesthetic and price. While each gown is certainly different, they share an ethereal Grecian goddess sensibility without being too literal in their translation--or overly youthful.



As for my own mother, her look was entirely different when it came to my wedding--a country celebration that would have made the likes of Martha Stewart proud. My mother opted for a sleeveless navy sheath, with clean simple lines. The result was an understated elegance that made her shine like a queen--which is appropriate, since she is my Queen Mum.



My family, photographed by Ross Jacob Photographers: http://www.rossjacob.com/.

Gowns, from left to right: 1) Ombre Swiss Jacquard Gown in plum by Nicole Miller, available online at http://www.nicolemiller.com/; 2) BR Monogram Racerback Gown in gray, available online at http://bananarepublic.gap.com/; 3) Vera Wang Lavender LabelSilk Chiffon Gown, available online at Saks Fifth Avenue: http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment