1.3.09

Hunting, Fishing, and Après Ski Couture



After three hours in the car with nothing but my iPod and the company of my talking GPS, it's official: Toto, we're not in Boston anymore. For the next 24 hours, I have traded in my Boston bubble for a welcomed respite with my sister amidst the fresh air and forests of Maine.

It's true that New York, Paris, Milan, London, and other glamorous metropolises are home to both fashion and the fashionable, but if you have met the lovely ladies of Colby college then you know that fashion also winters in Maine. In fact, thanks to my Colby girls, I will find myself scanning the shelves of the drugstore for a particular shade of gray nailpolish while donning my new red plaid hunting hat.

In Catcher in the Rye, a novel near and dear to my post-angsty-adolescent heart, Holden spots his little sister, Phoebe, because "she had [his] crazy hunting hat on--you could see that hat about ten miles away." Since my own sister so fondly reminds me of Phoebe Caulfield, this Holden-esque fashion is somehow all too appropriate for me. It is also representative of Maine's fashion sensibilities: hunting, fishing, and après ski couture.

If you're skeptical, then allow me to paint a picture for you: shearling-lined Bean boots (unlaced) over black leggings, paired with a red pintuck plaid tunic, furry vest, and trapper hat. Now look me in the eye and tell me honestly that you're not imagining yourself wearing this rustic translation of the classic snowbunny. Yeah, that's what I thought.
Boots and hat by L.L. Bean. Vintage ski poster available at AllPosters.com.

1 comment:

  1. Glad the Colby girls lived up to your standards Lolly! Not going to lie, I wish we lived closer because I would be asking to borrow your plaid hunter cap right about now. The right shade of gray nail polish took us months to find and to save you the hunt (pun intended), some is en route to you stat! xxx

    ReplyDelete