10.11.11

Episode 10: Mala Beads

I have found that sometimes even the most spirited of fashionistas needs a little extra boost.  I am fortunate to have amazing friends and family to support and encourage me in a number of ways, and as you have likely already noticed, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I am dedicating this month's posts to the people, places, and things that I am thankful for--and the ways in which they have inspired me.  Today I am thankful for one such inspired friend, who gifted me a set of mala beads for my birthday two years ago, and I am thankful to the lovely Jo for bringing me love and light in a new form.

For those unfamiliar, mala is a Sanskrit word meaning "garland."  Mala beads are a string of beads used as far back as ancient times to keep the mind focused on the practice of meditation.  They are commonly used by Hindus and Buddhists, and the beads can be made from a variety of materials--each with a specific energetic effect. 

Moonstone Full Mala
By JapaMala

I am neither Hindu nor Buddhist, yet I treasure both sets of mala beads that I have--one made out of lotus seeds and the other out of moonstone--and I find the meaning behind their materials to be especially inspiring.  The former was given to me by Jo, and the lotus seed is said to signify growth and the ability to overcome obstacles.  I purchased my moonstone mala earlier this year, after embarking on a 30-day yoga challenge and feeling like I needed the good luck and soothing, balancing properties associated with the moonstone. 

As I said earlier, sometimes even the most spirited of fashionistas needs a little extra boost. While the beads in and of themselves are beautiful, when I wear my mala beads around my wrist, I feel inspired to push a little harder, to keep my head up, and to keep moving forward.  I am thankful for their inspiration, and for my lovely friend Jo for introducing me to a fashion that is so much more than a fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment