7.11.11

I Am Thankful For My Fashionista Friends, Episode 7: Pretty In Pearls

My sister, fastening my grandmother's necklace this past summer
Over the years and throughout many a fashion adventure, I have come to appreciate the value of accessories.  In fact, sometimes it is an accessory that makes an outfit, for even the most basic look can be instantly transformed by the right necklace, bracelet, or ring.  For me, pearls are the best example of this fashion rule, a lesson that I have learned from my amazing grandmother.  Regardless of the occasion, my grandmother's inherent elegance is only heightened by the strand of pearls she wears at her neck, and I am thankful to her for being a shining example of style and grace.

My husband-to-be puts on my pearls
Photo by Ross Jacob Photographers, August 2006

Shockingly, I never owned a strand of pearls of my own until shortly before I was married, when my mother gifted me a necklace and earring set as my "something new."  The necklace just so happened to be precisely what I needed to complete my country chic bridal look.  Since then, that necklace has become an accessory staple, and I often rely on it to complete my look.  For my 9 to 5, I wear a lot of black (I am not a morning person so it's just easier that way), but the right heels and a strand of pearls give head-to-toe black an elegance that even Coco Chanel could (and did) approve of. 

Lady Four Strand Pearl Necklace, $325
by J. Crew
The same applies for when you're running short on time.  As you may recall, one of my dear friends shared the following important fashion "do" for She's Come Unheeled's second birthday post earlier this year: # 40) Opt for pearls and a ponytail if you simply don't have time for a shower.  Indeed, the power of pearls is their ability to transcend and transform.  Whether the situation arises when you're pressed for time; your luscious locks are in need of a wash; you're feeling generally blah; or you're craving a bit of timeless elegance in your look, a strand of pearls is all a girl really needs in a pinch.  In my humble opinion, this is more than just a rule of fashion; rather, it's a life lesson that I am thankful to my grandmother for teaching me by example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment