26.11.11

I Am Thankful For My Fashionista Friends, Episodes 21-26: Things I Love

Dearest fashionista friends, I hope you all had a marvelous Thanksgiving and were able to celebrate all the things in your life that you have to be thankful for!  Over the past 20 posts, I have shared some of the fashion, beauty, and lifestyle inspirations that I am grateful for.  However, nothing compares to the blessing that my husband and I received when we welcomed our little girl, Harper Livingston, one week ago today.  Born at just over 36 weeks, Harper has spent the first week of her life in the NICU at Beth Israel hospital in Boston to gather her strength before she can return home with us.  I am eternally thankful for the precious gift of our sweet baby girl, and for all the people that have supported, encouraged, and lifted us up over the past week.  There is nothing more fashionable than an outpouring of love.


So, while I was able to get a post in after Harper was born last Saturday, I have since neglected my pledge of 30 posts of gratitude throughout the month of November.  I know you understand.  But as my mother says, better late than never--so allow me to share a condensed version of the people and things I have been specifically thankful for (some huge and perhaps obvious, others small and simple) over these last few days...


Le Pavillion iPhone 4 Case
in white/black/pink, $40
by Kate Spade
#21: I am thankful for...my iPhone.  Seriously.  Dallin and I have observed several pay phones throughout the hospital corridors, and I have wondered if I could even figure out how to use a pay phone anymore?  I mean, I certainly don't know how much it costs to make a call these days; the last time I used a pay phone, my age ended in "teen," and the going rate was 35 cents.  Indeed, my iPhone has proved to be worth its weight in gold these days (and as a portfolio analyst, I can safely assure you that gold is all the rage).  It has kept us connected to family and friends, while also serving as a handy camera, an alarm clock, and the source of countless games.  I have to thank my awesome friend and coworker, Joe, who encouraged me to take the iPhone plunge when my beloved Blackberry finally died, for I am truly thankful for this little piece of absolutely crucial technology--in its irresistible Kate Spade polka dot case.


#22: I am thankful for...my fabulous friends and family.  Obvi!  Over these last days, Dallin, Harper, and I have received so much love from the amazing people that we are lucky enough to call family and friends.  From visits with friends bearing emergency cases of ginger ale; to quality time with family and an extremely eager new grandmother; to countless emails and texts; to Thanksgiving treats brought all the way to the hospital, the word "thankful" doesn't actually do justice to how I feel about the loving kindness we have received.  Thank you.


Golden Bronzer, $32
by Trish McEvoy
Available at Nordstrom
#23: I am thankful for...the healing powers of make up.  Truly, I don't mean this in a shallow or superficial way.  When I was discharged from the hospital on Thursday, Dallin and I had to face the incredibly difficult obstacle of returning home--without our baby girl.  I'm not going to say that I handled this situation with poise and grace; rather, I spent most of Wednesday in tears of anticipation.  But on Thursday, as we gathered our things, I decided that I needed to ready myself to face the world--and that falling apart wasn't going to do me (or anyone else) any good.  In an effort to pull it together, I straightened my hair, brushed on some of my favorite Trish McEvoy bronzer, added a little Chanel eyeliner, and brought out the big guns with my waterproof tube of DiorShow mascara. I had to laugh when our nurse remarked on how much "better" I looked that day; clearly, I'm not a natural beauty.  But sometimes just putting in the effort can help, and I am grateful for these cosmetic staples for making me look--if not feel--like a normal human being again.  The rest will hopefully come with the healing powers of time.


Dallin and me on the Outer Banks this past summer

#24: I am thankful for...my amazing husband.  In the five plus years we have been married, Dallin has proved himself time and time again to be the best companion a self-proclaimed fashionista like me could have possibly asked for in life.  He just knows.  When he left the hospital briefly on Monday night to go home and grab some work clothes for the next day, he returned with (among other things) my cashmere socks and the newest issue of Us Weekly.  On Wednesday, when I was on the verge of falling apart, he helped me on a walk outside to get some air and try to clear my head, no matter that I was wearing my Juicy velour PJ pants and Ugg slippers.  These small acts of selflessness--not to mention every time I see him cuddling with or feeding our baby daughter--remind me of how thankful I am to be blessed with Dallin as an eternal companion.  I know Harper will be equally thankful for her daddy.


DTB Duffel in black, $78
by Lulu Lemon
#25: I am thankful for...my Lulu Lemon yoga bag.  Since I was discharged from the hospital, DallinDallin's iPad, and all the normal stuff into my Burberry tote was going to result in broken handbag straps (for the third time).  So we turned to the amazing Lulu Lemon yoga bag that my amazing sister, Annie, and her equally amazing boyfriend, Gil, got me for my birthday in August.  Its size is big enough to fit everything we need for a day at the hospital, and it comes equipped with dozens of handy pockets and zipped compartments to stay organized.  When life gets crazy, sometimes it is the simple things for which you can be thankful.  I may not be toting the bag to and from yoga for a while, but that doesn't mean I can't feel a sense of peace.


#26: I am thankful for...the joy of motherhood.  When we lost our baby boy, Rex Fish, last October, I had never felt such complete and utter devastation and feared that I would never have the opportunity to enjoy the blessing of a living child.  While Harper is currently facing the challenges of being born early, I am thankful for the gift of her life and for the opportunity I have to be a mother.  She is precious, sweet, and even a little bit feisty at times, and I look forward to watching her grow and mature with each passing day--and hope for the day that we can bring her home with us.


Dear fashionista friends, it's hard to believe that we are quickly approaching the end of November, and though my blog pledge (of 30 posts in the spirit of thanks) has been a tall order at times, I am thankful to have had the opportunity to reflect on the people, places, and things that have inspired my gratitude.  While today I have condensed the last six days into one post, believe me when I tell you that I could have written volumes about the love and support my little family has received during that time.  So thank you again to those who have made my burdens light--and to the little fashion tricks that have helped me make it with just a little bit of style too.


Harper Livingston Wilson
Born November 19, 2011
7 pounds 1 ounce

3 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, your post made me cry. I am overwhelmed with joy for you and Dallin. Harper is so precious. She is so lucky to have you as her parents. I know that Rex is with you all in spirit. You are a beautiful family. Sending you my love. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the spirit of being thankful I would like to say how grateful and thankful I am for having you for a friend. I am so lucky. You truly are amazing. I adore you. welcome to the world baby Harper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harper is so beautiful Laura. Love to you and your family... Sara Nadelman

    ReplyDelete