12.11.11

Episode 12: Boston Fashion

Boston
Photo from Rishi Raj Photography


Today I had the opportunity to spend the afternoon on Newbury Street with my sister, Annie, getting a head start on our holiday shopping.  In addition to our favorite spots, we took the opportunity to pop into stores that we had never been to before, sometimes with our own wardrobes in mind and other times in search of a Christmas gift or two.  It was such an amazing day that I was reminded of how much I love my home city of Boston--and how thankful I am to have been able to enjoy it in such good company.


Boston may not be known as a landmark on the fashion scene, yet I am constantly inspired by the people who surround me, even the people I see on the street.  Today, Annie and I saw both fashion dos and don'ts.  Perhaps my favorite "do" was a casual fall layered look, a girl wearing army green leg warmers over her black leggings and tucked into her brown boots.  While her look wasn't anything earth shattering, the comfortable ease of the layers struck me as a fun way to incorporate color and texture in an everyday outfit.


On the other hand, the most notable "don't" was a girl wearing a faux fur jacket that redefined the word "oversized," dwarfing her tiny frame so much that she looked as though was drowning.  I believe she was probably channeling that bohemian Mary Kate Olsen vibe, but the thing about that is that you actually have to be Mary Kate Olsen to make it work (and even she ends up on the "Fashion Police" page of US Weekly sometimes).


As and aside, amongst the dos and don't, this was indeed a triumphant day; my lovely, flat-shoes-only sister purchased her very first pair of heels--or wedges, to be more exact.  Her new Tory Burch wedges fall solidly into the "do" category, and as a lover of the highest high heels, I was proud to be a part of the buying experience--and thankful to have had the opportunity to spend the prettiest fall day with my sister in our favorite (and ever fashionable) city.



My sister rises to new heights!
Sophie Wedges
by Tory Burch

No comments:

Post a Comment