30.11.11

I Am Thankful For My Fashionista Friends Episode 30: Be Inspired

Image thanks to Daily Candy


As you know, I dedicated She's Come Unheeled posts during the month of November to the spirit of thanksgiving and the people, places, and things that have inspired my gratitude--not to mention my fashion sensibilities.  With all that's happened in my life lately, this 30-day pledge has been a challenge at times, but I feel fortunate to have had the specific opportunity to reflect on what I'm thankful for--and it's hard to believe that it's already the 30th!  Given that today is the last official post (which is not to say that I won't share my gratitude in the future), it feels appropriate to give thanks for fashion in general, especially the DOs and DON'Ts that keep a self-proclaimed fashionista on her toes.


Yesterday, while my baby slept, I left the NICU to grab some lunch.  Feeling lethargic as I trudged back to the hospital, a fellow pedestrian caught my eye: a man carrying a briefcase and wearing work pants and oxfords, paired with a purple hoodie and sleeveless denim vest.  Unfortunately, I only saw this ensemble from the back and regret that I didn't think to stealthily snap a photo with my iPhone, but still I had to laugh--and I needed to laugh.  It didn't take a fashionista to recognize what was amiss with that outfit: everything.  Yet, I am thankful for fashion DON'Ts like this one to add a little comic relief to my day and to serve as a reminder of, while beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, there are some fashion rules that should not be broken.  


Just as fashion DON'Ts crop up in the most unexpected places, fashion DOs can appear just as randomly.  Today, while walking to the elevator (again to grab some lunch--I sense a pattern here), I passed a fellow NICU mom in the hallway, looking like the portrait of chic in the hospital corridor.  Her outfit was simple but elegant: black leggings, a white tunic-length tee with a cozy sweater and...nude patent leather flats.  Now, I've already professed my love for my nude pumps, but I never even considered nude flats.  They have the same versatility as nude pumps, yet by nature of being a flat, they are inherently more casual.  Still, they add a level of style and grace that is to be coveted.  Simply put: I need to get a pair of my own, and I am thankful for the fact that fashion inspiration can strike at any time, in any place.




Odette Flats in nude patent, $150
by Michael Kors
Available from Bloomingdales


As Coco Chanel once said, Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.  In the past month, as I have kept myself especially open to inspiration, I have found this to be more true than ever before.  Whether it's a DO or DON'T, a hot trend or a classic, fashion is absolutely everywhere--and I am thankful to be able to soak in it, to experiment with new ideas, and to be inspired by the fashion of others.  And on that note, dearest fashionista friends, I am thankful for each of you and your unceasing fashion savvy.  November will soon be over, but I'm already looking forward to holiday fashion...  Just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment